Thursday, May 22, 2008

The True Essence of Success

Ecclesiastes 4:4 "I observed that the basic motives for success is the driving force of envy and jealousy!"

Someone sent this message to me... I think it's quoted from the Bible... well, I don't believe in this saying.
Why?
Well, of course at a first glance and at the superficial level this seems to be true... and this is actually true for most people. Most people in reality and in fact strive for success because of the driving force of envy and jealousy... But, there's also this quote that says "Success is a personal standard. Reaching for the best of what we can be."... and this I believe, is the true essence of success.
Personal standard. Meaning, one don't seek his standards of success on other people. So one doesn't think "My neighbors are rich that's why I am driven to be rich. I also want to be successful."... True success is not measured with the successes of others.
That is why if we look at the truely successful men in history, they have chosen and followed their own path. Their own vision. Their own standard.
I do believe though that psychologically speaking, the drive for success is also the drive to be of significance. But not of envy and jealousy. Remember, true success.

No comments: